Sambal Petai Ikan Bilis Recipe
When I was younger, I already love to eat petai. My second sister however is not a fan of it. I remembered taking a bite of the petai from my mother’s sambal and gave out a loud “HAH” in front of my sis so she could smell my breath! I remembered how pissed she was! LoL! Those were the good ol’ days..
Though I love sambal especially with petai in it, I’ve never tried dishing it out myself. I’ve always thought that it is such a hassle and will mess up the kitchen big time but boy was I wrong! I found out today that it is so easy to dish this sambal petai ikan bilis.
I don’t think my mother makes it this way but nevertheless, this is my way and quite surprisingly it’s a huge SUCCESS!
Ingredients for Sambal Petai Ikan Bilis
Petai (Stink beans) – Halved to ensure there is no big eyed monster in it
Dried anchovies – Heads and bones removed
Quail eggs – Hard boiled and peeled
Pound chili, shallots followed by roasted belacan. Always start with the dryer ingredients that is the chili, followed by the shallots and then lastly the belacan.
You can always cheat by blending the above ingredients but I did not. I have that picture above to prove that I pounded every single thing. Well, I would have just blended it if not for this purpose of blogging about it :P
Heat oil and fry the peeled boiled eggs quickly until a thin crispy coating is formed. Remove.
Deep fry anchovies till brown and crispy. Set aside.
Remove excess oil leaving enough to fry the chili paste. Fry until ‘naik minyak’ or in English I think is ‘oil splits’.
Add petai and fry somemore.
Add assam juice and sugar to taste.
Lastly, combine fried quail eggs and anchovies and mix well until they are nicely coated with the chili paste.
Transfer to serving plate.
Tah-dah! First time dishing this out and am proud to say, it’s GOOD! Haha! I love it and surprisingly Darling loves it too! My next task is most probably to learn how to cook nasi lemak to go with this. Ahh… Drooling already!
By the way, I’m sorry if the recipe does not state the amount of ingredients used. I don’t usually cook with measurement. It’s all according to what the heart feels…
6 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Join ME for updates & giveaways!
Home is where MY heart is.
I am a mother to two boys; Ethan and Ayden and a wife to Darling William. I'm a stay at home mum who blogs to break the monotony of life and to avoid feeling jaded. Would love to get to know all the Super Mommies and Daddies and Babies or Singles out there with the hope that we can learn more from each other. Most of all, I am a happy person, and I hope YOU are too.
Click here to learn more about me ^_^
SUBMERRYN ON TV3, MHI
SUBMERRYN ON MHI
Submerryn NTV7 Breakfast Show
Submerryn ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn ON TV2 Hello On Two
Submerryn On TV3 KidsNews
Submerryn In The Star, In.Tech
Submerryn In The Star, Metro
Submerryn In Sin Chew
Little Chefs’ Recipe
My Parenting Articles
* Quick & Easy Snack Ideas for School Children
* Baby Sign Language
* Crossing the road
* Postpartum depression
* Raising a genius
* Pros and cons of cellphones in school
* To spank or not to spank?
* Handling Tantrums
* Money sense in kids
* Stress free Childhood
* Parenting Conflicts
* Learning through play
Quick & Simple Recipes
* Bendi Goreng Bawang Belacan
* Ayam Satay Buah Keras
* Soya Cincau
* Seaweed Popiah Snack
* Chicken Floss Roll
* 3 Ingredient Mac & Cheese
* Kampar Claypot Chicken Rice
* Homemade Burger Patty
* French Toast with Chicken Floss
* Cheesy French Toast
* Cucur Ikan Bilis
* Cucur Pisang
* Simple Omelette Wrap
* Spicy Mushroom Tapas
* Pan-fried Salmon
* Roti John
* Sambal petai ikan bilis
* Stir-fried shrimp paste vege
* Fried Instant Noodles
* Sweet and sour prawn
* Blanced Beansprout
* Luncheon Meat Egg Roll
* Eggless No Bake Brownie
* Nyonya Assam Prawn
* Homemade Soya Bean Milk
* Loh Hon Chai
* Nyonya Chap Chye
* Ayam Pong Teh
* Asian Style Chicken Stew
* Fried Potato Patties
* Coca Cola Chicken
Baking with Rice Cooker
* Simple Rice Cooker Cakes Recipes
Ethan and Ayden’s Reading Progress
Karon, Phuket (Thailand)
Surin, Phuket (Thailand)
Mai Khao, Phuket (Thailand)
Bali with Kids (Indonesia)
Universal Studio Singapore
River Cruise (Singapore)
S.E.A Aquarium (Singapore)
Port Dickson (Malaysia)
Port Dickson (Malaysia)
My Popular Articles
- Ang Pow Koi Fish DIY - 142,839 views
- Sistem Analisis Peperiksaan Sekolah - 119,056 views
- Water World @ i-City - 116,206 views
- My Tong Sui Collection - 107,461 views
- Ang Bao Gold Fish – Very easy to do :D - 90,320 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decor: Ang Pow Carousel Lantern - 85,490 views
- Red Packet Ball Lantern - 73,697 views
- Chinese New Year Angpow Lantern - 72,788 views
- We slept separately for over 2 weeks dy… - 59,504 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decorations : Chinese Fan - 58,662 views
- My memories of Nyonya Chang (Nyonya Rice Dumpling)
- Thomas & Friends Journey Beyond Sodor!
- Buka Puasa Buffet 2017: Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel
- Cooking with Ayden: Sweet Potato in Gula Melaka dessert
- Quick trip back to Melaka and a BBQ
- To The Dentist We Go Again
- WTF – What Tasty Food @ Bangsar
- Cooking with Ayden: Steamed Chicken with Minced Bean Paste