Nyonya Assam Prawn Recipe
I used to cook this dish when I was courting Darling decades ago but ever since we got married I don’t remember ever serving him this until today :)
I’ve forgotten how to cook it that I had to call my mother to make sure. Unlike some other Nyonya Assam Prawn (especially the Penang version) where the prawn are fried until dry and a bit burnt, my mom’s is the wet version. I remembered as a child I loved to drench my rice with the thick tamarind gravy. It makes an extremely appetizing meal.
I bought about 200gm of prawns from Jusco. Well I don’t go to wet markets so the only place I get my stuffs is here.
I must say my assam prawn turned out OKAY! *pat pat on the back* Haha!
So here’s the ingredients. I’m unsure about the measurement though as I just used what I feel is right. A nyonya doesn’t cook with a kitchen scale anyway …
Prawn (with the shell intact)
Tamarind pulp with seeds
Add water to tamarind and press the pulp and seeds to get thick tamarind extract.
Remove the pulp and seeds.
Add sugar and pepper.
Add prawn and marinate for at least 3 hours.
What I did was to prepare this at night before I go to bed and keep them in the meat compartment in the fridge without freezing them. In the morning I can just take it out and start cooking!
Heat a wok with just enough oil.
Fry the prawns quickly. Remove from wok.
Add the marinate into the wok and let boil until it thickens.
Once thicken, taste it. You may want to add some salt if you like. Add some more sugar if it is too sour.
When you think you got the gravy right, add the prawns back in and toss until they are all coated with the thick gravy.
Dish out and serve with white rice. This tangy assam prawn dish with a mixture of sweet and savory is really appetizing, I just want to lick the prawns and suck the head before peeling them! >_<
12 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Join ME for updates & giveaways!
Home is where MY heart is.
I am a mother to two boys; Ethan and Ayden and a wife to Darling William. I'm a stay at home mum who blogs to break the monotony of life and to avoid feeling jaded. Would love to get to know all the Super Mommies and Daddies and Babies or Singles out there with the hope that we can learn more from each other. Most of all, I am a happy person, and I hope YOU are too.
Click here to learn more about me ^_^
SUBMERRYN ON TV3, MHI
SUBMERRYN ON MHI
Submerryn NTV7 Breakfast Show
Submerryn ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn ON TV2 Hello On Two
Submerryn On TV3 KidsNews
Submerryn In The Star, In.Tech
Submerryn In The Star, Metro
Submerryn In Sin Chew
Little Chefs’ Recipe
My Parenting Articles
* Quick & Easy Snack Ideas for School Children
* Baby Sign Language
* Crossing the road
* Postpartum depression
* Raising a genius
* Pros and cons of cellphones in school
* To spank or not to spank?
* Handling Tantrums
* Money sense in kids
* Stress free Childhood
* Parenting Conflicts
* Learning through play
Quick & Simple Recipes
* Bendi Goreng Bawang Belacan
* Ayam Satay Buah Keras
* Soya Cincau
* Seaweed Popiah Snack
* Chicken Floss Roll
* 3 Ingredient Mac & Cheese
* Kampar Claypot Chicken Rice
* Homemade Burger Patty
* French Toast with Chicken Floss
* Cheesy French Toast
* Cucur Ikan Bilis
* Cucur Pisang
* Simple Omelette Wrap
* Spicy Mushroom Tapas
* Pan-fried Salmon
* Roti John
* Sambal petai ikan bilis
* Stir-fried shrimp paste vege
* Fried Instant Noodles
* Sweet and sour prawn
* Blanced Beansprout
* Luncheon Meat Egg Roll
* Eggless No Bake Brownie
* Nyonya Assam Prawn
* Homemade Soya Bean Milk
* Loh Hon Chai
* Nyonya Chap Chye
* Ayam Pong Teh
* Asian Style Chicken Stew
* Fried Potato Patties
* Coca Cola Chicken
Baking with Rice Cooker
* Simple Rice Cooker Cakes Recipes
Ethan and Ayden’s Reading Progress
Karon, Phuket (Thailand)
Surin, Phuket (Thailand)
Mai Khao, Phuket (Thailand)
Bali with Kids (Indonesia)
Universal Studio Singapore
River Cruise (Singapore)
S.E.A Aquarium (Singapore)
Port Dickson (Malaysia)
Port Dickson (Malaysia)
My Popular Articles
- Ang Pow Koi Fish DIY - 142,839 views
- Sistem Analisis Peperiksaan Sekolah - 119,056 views
- Water World @ i-City - 116,206 views
- My Tong Sui Collection - 107,461 views
- Ang Bao Gold Fish – Very easy to do :D - 90,320 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decor: Ang Pow Carousel Lantern - 85,490 views
- Red Packet Ball Lantern - 73,697 views
- Chinese New Year Angpow Lantern - 72,788 views
- We slept separately for over 2 weeks dy… - 59,504 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decorations : Chinese Fan - 58,662 views
- My memories of Nyonya Chang (Nyonya Rice Dumpling)
- Thomas & Friends Journey Beyond Sodor!
- Buka Puasa Buffet 2017: Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel
- Cooking with Ayden: Sweet Potato in Gula Melaka dessert
- Quick trip back to Melaka and a BBQ
- To The Dentist We Go Again
- WTF – What Tasty Food @ Bangsar
- Cooking with Ayden: Steamed Chicken with Minced Bean Paste