Persatuan Peranakan Baba Nyonya @ the Blossom Arts Festival Malaysia
The inaugural Blossom Arts Festival Malaysia 2016 is being held at Wisma MCA. The month long festival which starts on June 1 brings about 100 people, groups and societies together for a month of arts, exhibitions, stage performances, visual arts presentations as well as culture and folk activities.
Persatuan Peranakan Baba Nyonya from Malacca took part in this festival this weekend with my mom and aunt being part of it. I took the opportunity to visit them at their booth today.
Persatuan Peranakan Baba Nyonya Malaysia
Introduction of the Peranakan Baba and Nyonya heritage.
My mom, aunt and Nyonya Lau help to share the Baba Nyonya culture and heritage to visitors by having lots of items in their booth for sale. Among the items there are:
Ready made Kebaya Nyonya.
No kebaya nyonya is complete without a pair of kasut manik. Many pairs of ready made kasut manik are on sale here too.
The more traditional kasut manik cutting and design.
This is the modern kasut manik.
They also have kerongsang and cucuk sanggul for sale.
Sarong batik is available too.
Besides our traditional kebaya nyonya, they also have Peranakan wares for sale.
These are not antiques but they are designed to be uniquely Peranakan.
With the word Peranakan printed on the bottom of each plates, bowls and spoon.
Visitors can also purchase the much sought after Bakul Siah and tiffin carrier here.
Pineapple tarts are also on sale in case you get hungry.
Tourists will love these souvenirs from Melaka.
Souvenirs from Melaka – Kebaya keychains.
Yes, I think my mom and gang managed to showcase our Baba Nyonya heritage to many visitors this weekend. Many people especially tourists from China thronged their booth.
I see visitors keen on the kebaya nyonya.
Meanwhile, there are also other exhibitions around the area. One of them is the Lion Dance exhibition which my boys are attracted too.
The boys are huge fans of lion dances.
Chinese drums. They made their Grandma pose with them too :D
While there are many booths to visit indoor, there is a musical cultural and heritage session going on outside in the open space.
What surprised me was that random people happily took a seat and started playing music together, harmoniously. It was such a beautiful sight seeing music bringing people of all ages together. Watch this video to see it for yourself. Can you spot Ethan and Ayden? ^_^
Should you have any interest regarding Baba and Nyonya, you can always contact the koperasi at the number listed below:
Last but not least, here is a picture of me and my mom. Sorry I was not wearing a kebaya myself but I came straight from Ethan’s extra classes and all so yeah..
15 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Join ME for updates & giveaways!
Home is where MY heart is.
I am a mother to two boys; Ethan and Ayden and a wife to Darling William. I'm a stay at home mum who blogs to break the monotony of life and to avoid feeling jaded. Would love to get to know all the Super Mommies and Daddies and Babies or Singles out there with the hope that we can learn more from each other. Most of all, I am a happy person, and I hope YOU are too.
Click here to learn more about me ^_^
SUBMERRYN ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn NTV7 Breakfast Show
Submerryn ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn ON TV2 Hello On Two
Submerryn On TV3 KidsNews
Submerryn In The Star, In.Tech
Submerryn In The Star, Metro
Submerryn In Sin Chew
My Parenting Articles
* Quick & Easy Snack Ideas for School Children
* Baby Sign Language
* Crossing the road
* Postpartum depression
* Raising a genius
* Pros and cons of cellphones in school
* To spank or not to spank?
* Handling Tantrums
* Money sense in kids
* Stress free Childhood
* Parenting Conflicts
* Learning through play
Quick & Simple Recipes
* 3 Ingredient Mac & Cheese
* Kampar Claypot Chicken Rice
* Homemade Burger Patty
* French Toast with Chicken Floss
* Cheesy French Toast
* Cucur Ikan Bilis
* Cucur Pisang
* Simple Omelette Wrap
* Spicy Mushroom Tapas
* Pan-fried Salmon
* Roti John
* Sambal petai ikan bilis
* Stir-fried shrimp paste vege
* Fried Instant Noodles
* Sweet and sour prawn
* Blanced Beansprout
* Luncheon Meat Egg Roll
* Eggless No Bake Brownie
* Nyonya Assam Prawn
* Homemade Soya Bean Milk
* Loh Hon Chai
* Nyonya Chap Chye
* Ayam Pong Teh
* Asian Style Chicken Stew
* Fried Potato Patties
* Coca Cola Chicken
Baking with Rice Cooker
* Simple Rice Cooker Cakes Recipes
Ethan and Ayden’s Reading Progress
All about CARS
Hello Kitty car
Volkswagen Passat CC 2.0
Volkswagen Polo GTi
Exora Prime / Bold
Smart fortwo electric drive
New Perodua Myvi 1.5L
New Perodua Myvi 2011
My Popular Articles
- Ang Pow Koi Fish DIY - 135,353 views
- Water World @ i-City - 113,871 views
- My Tong Sui Collection - 105,637 views
- Ang Bao Gold Fish – Very easy to do :D - 86,984 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decor: Ang Pow Carousel Lantern - 82,255 views
- Red Packet Ball Lantern - 70,438 views
- Chinese New Year Angpow Lantern - 69,997 views
- Sistem Analisis Peperiksaan Sekolah - 58,338 views
- We slept separately for over 2 weeks dy… - 57,345 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decorations : Chinese Fan - 56,137 views
- Ayden’s Pikachu is MISSING!
- MILO®UHT® UHT Bento Making Workshop
- canton2go Mini Buffet Delivery
- The Emperor, Dorsett Grand Subang’s Chinese New Year Menu 2017
- We are on Malaysia Hari Ini (MHI) – Chinese New Year Snack
- Popular Chinese New Year Snack : Chicken Floss Roll
- DKING CNY Durian Goodies Hamper
- Easy Chinese New Year Snack – Seaweed Popiah Crisp