It is the year end and that means the long holiday is here again. Many of us including myself have already made plans for the family. When we are on a holiday, dining out is simply unavoidable. This puts us at risk of consuming contaminated food or drink because food hygiene standards can be extremely low depending on the destination and the season of travel. Children are especially susceptible to Traveller’s Diarrhoea (TD).
We learned our lesson the hard way during our family holiday trip earlier this year when Ethan fell ill on the second last day of our vacation and had dreadful episodes of vomiting and diarrhoea after dinner. We did not bring any medication for diarrhoea and did not know where the nearest clinic was. We thought of letting him sleep through the night and bring him to the clinic first thing in the morning if his condition deteriorated but he continued purging badly.
We brought him to look for a 24 hours clinic at midnight. I had to give him an empty plastic bag on our way to the clinic in case he needed to vomit in the car.
Ethan had food poisoning on the second last day of our vacation earlier this year.
As we were not familiar with the area, it took us some time before locating the clinic. Thank goodness I gave Ethan an empty plastic bag as he vomited in the car on our way there.
After giving Ethan a jab to stop the vomiting, the doctor prescribed Smecta for acute diarrhoea treatment. We were told its unique structure is able to adsorb bacteria, virus and toxin and clears it from the body system. The doctor also advised Ethan to get more rest as he already lost a lot of fluid earlier.
I did not sleep much that night as I stayed awake monitoring Ethan’s condition. The pain of a child having diarrhoea during a family holiday trip is no laughing matter. It puts the entire family at risk too. We had to cut short our trip and headed back home first thing in the morning.
It was an exhausting experience I never wish to be repeated. I always bring basic medication such as fever, flu and cough med during travel but this time I make sure to be prepared in case of diarrhoea again *touch wood*.
Since the doctor prescribed Smecta during Ethan’s food poisoning episode, we bought the same thing from the pharmacy for our trip. The pharmacist packed it in a specially designed dispensing bag convenient for travelling and included a children activity booklet to keep the kids occupied.
The boys are already enjoying the activity book. It kept them occupied while waiting for their meals.
We are prepared for our trip down South now. I will update more when we return. Till then, happy holidays.
For more information, visit www.smecta.com.my
6 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Join ME for updates & giveaways!
Home is where MY heart is.
I am a mother to two boys; Ethan and Ayden and a wife to Darling William. I'm a stay at home mum who blogs to break the monotony of life and to avoid feeling jaded. Would love to get to know all the Super Mommies and Daddies and Babies or Singles out there with the hope that we can learn more from each other. Most of all, I am a happy person, and I hope YOU are too.
Click here to learn more about me ^_^
SUBMERRYN ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn NTV7 Breakfast Show
Submerryn ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn ON TV2 Hello On Two
Submerryn On TV3 KidsNews
Submerryn In The Star, In.Tech
Submerryn In The Star, Metro
Submerryn In Sin Chew
My Parenting Articles
* Quick & Easy Snack Ideas for School Children
* Baby Sign Language
* Crossing the road
* Postpartum depression
* Raising a genius
* Pros and cons of cellphones in school
* To spank or not to spank?
* Handling Tantrums
* Money sense in kids
* Stress free Childhood
* Parenting Conflicts
* Learning through play
Quick & Simple Recipes
* 3 Ingredient Mac & Cheese
* Kampar Claypot Chicken Rice
* Homemade Burger Patty
* French Toast with Chicken Floss
* Cheesy French Toast
* Cucur Ikan Bilis
* Cucur Pisang
* Simple Omelette Wrap
* Spicy Mushroom Tapas
* Pan-fried Salmon
* Roti John
* Sambal petai ikan bilis
* Stir-fried shrimp paste vege
* Fried Instant Noodles
* Sweet and sour prawn
* Blanced Beansprout
* Luncheon Meat Egg Roll
* Eggless No Bake Brownie
* Nyonya Assam Prawn
* Homemade Soya Bean Milk
* Loh Hon Chai
* Nyonya Chap Chye
* Ayam Pong Teh
* Asian Style Chicken Stew
* Fried Potato Patties
* Coca Cola Chicken
Baking with Rice Cooker
* Simple Rice Cooker Cakes Recipes
Ethan and Ayden’s Reading Progress
All about CARS
Hello Kitty car
Volkswagen Passat CC 2.0
Volkswagen Polo GTi
Exora Prime / Bold
Smart fortwo electric drive
New Perodua Myvi 1.5L
New Perodua Myvi 2011
My Popular Articles
- Ang Pow Koi Fish DIY - 129,998 views
- Water World @ i-City - 113,719 views
- My Tong Sui Collection - 105,495 views
- Ang Bao Gold Fish – Very easy to do :D - 84,923 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decor: Ang Pow Carousel Lantern - 79,970 views
- Chinese New Year Angpow Lantern - 68,758 views
- Red Packet Ball Lantern - 68,112 views
- Sistem Analisis Peperiksaan Sekolah - 58,252 views
- We slept separately for over 2 weeks dy… - 57,266 views
- Nuffnang Friso Family Day Out - 54,594 views
- The Emperor, Dorsett Grand Subang’s Chinese New Year Menu 2017
- Chinese New Year Decoration: Sunway Pyramid
- We are on Malaysia Hari Ini (MHI) – Chinese New Year Snack
- Dynasty Restaurant’s 2017 Chinese New Year Menu
- Popular Chinese New Year Snack : Chicken Floss Roll
- Ee Chinese Cuisine’s 2017 Chinese New Year Menu
- Chinese New Year Pikachu
- Easy Chinese New Year Snack – Seaweed Popiah Crisp