Growing Sweet Corn in a Pot
The boys love eating corn so I thought why not try growing them? Then I remember that I don’t have a garden for this but it’s okay, I shall try growing corn in pots.
I bought seeds to start my sweetcorn project.
I planted the entire packet of seeds at once but only two successfully germinate.
I transfered those two into individual pots but one sunny evening, Ayden was playing with his ball and accidentally bounced it onto my corn plant, breaking one of them so I was left with only one surviving plant :(
I showered the surviving last plant with lots of love, sunshine and water till it finally grows a tassle.
I moved the pot outside where it gets full sunshine when I noticed ears growing from the side of the stalk.
I got excited seeing the silk growing. Now, from what I’ve read, a corn plant has both male and female flowers but they are in different locations. The male flowers form a tassel which is at the top of the plant while the female flower is located at the junction of leaves and stem or rather known as the silk (or bulu as we usually say it).
For corn kernels to develop, pollen from the male flowers (tassel) need to fall onto the silks below. Pollen must land on all silks for the ear to fill out completely with kernels. This is the reason why corn plant should be grown in blocks of rows, rather than in a long, single row. But I only have ONE plant! How?
Determination kept me going and I tried helping the female flower to pollinate by slowly tapping on the stalk so the pollen will drop onto a paper that I placed below the tassel. Then I placed the paper nearer to the silks and slowly blow the pollen hoping it will land on the silks and ‘mate’ lah.
But sad to say, nothing happened and I got an empty cob without any corn kernels.
See? It is totally empty, botak… I was so disheartened. I moved the pot back inside into a sheltered area as I realised the daily shower pretty much washed the pollen away.
I kept tapping and blowing the pollen and not long after that, I got this:
Beautifully developed corn kernels! FINALLY! I made it! I managed to grow corns in a pot!
I harvested the corn and was so happy to see a corn with perfectly filled kernels. I am so delighted that I am game to try all over again. I’ll buy another packet of seeds and this time I’ll make sure to get the soil temperature right so that more will germinate and I’ll have more corn plants to help pollinate each other.
Wish me luck! :D
Check out the rest of my potted garden success:
- Brinjal in pots
- Red (Adzuki) Beans in pots
- Cherry tomatoes in pots
- Okra in pots
- Spinach in milk cartons
- Sweet potato leaves in milk cartons
22 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Join ME for updates & giveaways!
Home is where MY heart is.
I am a mother to two boys; Ethan and Ayden and a wife to Darling William. I'm a stay at home mum who blogs to break the monotony of life and to avoid feeling jaded. Would love to get to know all the Super Mommies and Daddies and Babies or Singles out there with the hope that we can learn more from each other. Most of all, I am a happy person, and I hope YOU are too.
Click here to learn more about me ^_^
SUBMERRYN ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn NTV7 Breakfast Show
Submerryn ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn ON TV2 Hello On Two
Submerryn On TV3 KidsNews
Submerryn In The Star, In.Tech
Submerryn In The Star, Metro
Submerryn In Sin Chew
My Parenting Articles
* Quick & Easy Snack Ideas for School Children
* Baby Sign Language
* Crossing the road
* Postpartum depression
* Raising a genius
* Pros and cons of cellphones in school
* To spank or not to spank?
* Handling Tantrums
* Money sense in kids
* Stress free Childhood
* Parenting Conflicts
* Learning through play
Quick & Simple Recipes
* 3 Ingredient Mac & Cheese
* Kampar Claypot Chicken Rice
* Homemade Burger Patty
* French Toast with Chicken Floss
* Cheesy French Toast
* Cucur Ikan Bilis
* Cucur Pisang
* Simple Omelette Wrap
* Spicy Mushroom Tapas
* Pan-fried Salmon
* Roti John
* Sambal petai ikan bilis
* Stir-fried shrimp paste vege
* Fried Instant Noodles
* Sweet and sour prawn
* Blanced Beansprout
* Luncheon Meat Egg Roll
* Eggless No Bake Brownie
* Nyonya Assam Prawn
* Homemade Soya Bean Milk
* Loh Hon Chai
* Nyonya Chap Chye
* Ayam Pong Teh
* Asian Style Chicken Stew
* Fried Potato Patties
* Coca Cola Chicken
Baking with Rice Cooker
* Simple Rice Cooker Cakes Recipes
Ethan and Ayden’s Reading Progress
All about CARS
Hello Kitty car
Volkswagen Passat CC 2.0
Volkswagen Polo GTi
Exora Prime / Bold
Smart fortwo electric drive
New Perodua Myvi 1.5L
New Perodua Myvi 2011
My Popular Articles
- Ang Pow Koi Fish DIY - 129,998 views
- Water World @ i-City - 113,719 views
- My Tong Sui Collection - 105,495 views
- Ang Bao Gold Fish – Very easy to do :D - 84,923 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decor: Ang Pow Carousel Lantern - 79,970 views
- Chinese New Year Angpow Lantern - 68,758 views
- Red Packet Ball Lantern - 68,112 views
- Sistem Analisis Peperiksaan Sekolah - 58,252 views
- We slept separately for over 2 weeks dy… - 57,266 views
- Nuffnang Friso Family Day Out - 54,594 views
- The Emperor, Dorsett Grand Subang’s Chinese New Year Menu 2017
- Chinese New Year Decoration: Sunway Pyramid
- We are on Malaysia Hari Ini (MHI) – Chinese New Year Snack
- Dynasty Restaurant’s 2017 Chinese New Year Menu
- Popular Chinese New Year Snack : Chicken Floss Roll
- Ee Chinese Cuisine’s 2017 Chinese New Year Menu
- Chinese New Year Pikachu
- Easy Chinese New Year Snack – Seaweed Popiah Crisp