Homegrown Okras in Pots
You’ve seen my homegrown organic grape cherry tomatoes, now let me introduce to you my homegrown organic okras. This is how I grow my okras. Again, I did not purchase the seed for this project. I took dried seeds from my mom’s homegrown okra to start my garden of okra in pots. Okra is very easy to grow as it grows best in hot weather like ours so if you wish to start an urban garden, okra is one of the recommended plants to try.
I love standing beneath these large and beautiful okra leaves. It makes me feel so little.
Okay, first of all, I took the seeds my mom gave me and planted them in small pots.
Within a week you’ll get a nice baby plant shown in the picture above. Then I transfered them into bigger pots. Actually not so much bigger but yeah, still a bit bigger. I water them once a day in the morning.
6-7 weeks after growing our first okra, we are greeted with flower buds.
That eventually bloomed into a beautiful yellow flower.
Once the flower drops, we get to see our okra. Once they are long enough (LOL I dont know how long is long enough :P) I started harvesting them.
I harvested all except one. I left it on the plant to grow really old so I can get the seeds and grow more okra plants in the future. I’m also sharing the seeds with others who are keen to start their own urban potted garden.
This is how okra seeds look like. Both Ayden and Ethan loves eating okras so I am growing more of them. At least 8 plants to give us enough okras to feed my little family. I have 5 plants at the moment :)
Oh, one thing about planting okra is, my skin is sensitive towards their leaves. I try my best not to touch the leaves as it will make my hands itch. If I accidentally brushed against the leaf, I’ll quickly wash my hands and it will be okay. No big deal but a bit leceh lah to keep avoiding the leaves.
Check out the rest of my potted garden success:
- Sweetcorn in pots
- Brinjal in pots
- Red Bean in pots
- Cherry tomatoes in pots
- Spinach in milk cartons
- Sweet potato leaves in milk cartons
16 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Join ME for updates & giveaways!
Home is where MY heart is.
I am a mother to two boys; Ethan and Ayden and a wife to Darling William. I'm a stay at home mum who blogs to break the monotony of life and to avoid feeling jaded. Would love to get to know all the Super Mommies and Daddies and Babies or Singles out there with the hope that we can learn more from each other. Most of all, I am a happy person, and I hope YOU are too.
Click here to learn more about me ^_^
SUBMERRYN ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn NTV7 Breakfast Show
Submerryn ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn ON TV2 Hello On Two
Submerryn On TV3 KidsNews
Submerryn In The Star, In.Tech
Submerryn In The Star, Metro
Submerryn In Sin Chew
My Parenting Articles
* Quick & Easy Snack Ideas for School Children
* Baby Sign Language
* Crossing the road
* Postpartum depression
* Raising a genius
* Pros and cons of cellphones in school
* To spank or not to spank?
* Handling Tantrums
* Money sense in kids
* Stress free Childhood
* Parenting Conflicts
* Learning through play
Quick & Simple Recipes
* 3 Ingredient Mac & Cheese
* Kampar Claypot Chicken Rice
* Homemade Burger Patty
* French Toast with Chicken Floss
* Cheesy French Toast
* Cucur Ikan Bilis
* Cucur Pisang
* Simple Omelette Wrap
* Spicy Mushroom Tapas
* Pan-fried Salmon
* Roti John
* Sambal petai ikan bilis
* Stir-fried shrimp paste vege
* Fried Instant Noodles
* Sweet and sour prawn
* Blanced Beansprout
* Luncheon Meat Egg Roll
* Eggless No Bake Brownie
* Nyonya Assam Prawn
* Homemade Soya Bean Milk
* Loh Hon Chai
* Nyonya Chap Chye
* Ayam Pong Teh
* Asian Style Chicken Stew
* Fried Potato Patties
* Coca Cola Chicken
Baking with Rice Cooker
* Simple Rice Cooker Cakes Recipes
Ethan and Ayden’s Reading Progress
All about CARS
Hello Kitty car
Volkswagen Passat CC 2.0
Volkswagen Polo GTi
Exora Prime / Bold
Smart fortwo electric drive
New Perodua Myvi 1.5L
New Perodua Myvi 2011
My Popular Articles
- Ang Pow Koi Fish DIY - 129,998 views
- Water World @ i-City - 113,718 views
- My Tong Sui Collection - 105,495 views
- Ang Bao Gold Fish – Very easy to do :D - 84,923 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decor: Ang Pow Carousel Lantern - 79,969 views
- Chinese New Year Angpow Lantern - 68,758 views
- Red Packet Ball Lantern - 68,112 views
- Sistem Analisis Peperiksaan Sekolah - 58,252 views
- We slept separately for over 2 weeks dy… - 57,266 views
- Nuffnang Friso Family Day Out - 54,594 views
- The Emperor, Dorsett Grand Subang’s Chinese New Year Menu 2017
- Chinese New Year Decoration: Sunway Pyramid
- We are on Malaysia Hari Ini (MHI) – Chinese New Year Snack
- Dynasty Restaurant’s 2017 Chinese New Year Menu
- Popular Chinese New Year Snack : Chicken Floss Roll
- Ee Chinese Cuisine’s 2017 Chinese New Year Menu
- Chinese New Year Pikachu
- Easy Chinese New Year Snack – Seaweed Popiah Crisp