Stir Fried Green Beans in Belacan (Shrimp Paste) Recipe
My mother fries wicked ‘bawang belacan’ veges such as Pucuk Ubi Bawang Belacan and Ladies Finger (Okra) Bawang Belacan. She calls it bawang belacan as the ingredients calls for shallots (bawang), shrimp paste (belacan) and also chili.
When Ethan was younger, he does not take spicy food hence all the veges are stir fried with only garlic or with the added oyster sauce. Now that he is turning 6 in 3 months time, he is starting to acquire the liking for a little spice in his food.
Taking the risk of him not liking this dish, I went ahead and cook it tonight. We just got home from grocery shopping and I went straight to the kitchen to dish this out.
I used belacan given by my mother though. I don’t like those belacan granules sold in the supermarket. My mother’s source is the BEST but don’t ask me where she gets it from as I have no idea!
Stir fried Long Beans in Belacan (Shrimp Paste)
Wash and cut long beans diagonally.
Shelled and deveined prawns.
Marinate prawns with a dash of pepper, soy sauce and sugar or if you are a lazy bum like me, you can just marinate them with pepper and oyster sauce.
Pound shallots, garlic and chili. Add belacan last until it formed a nice paste.
Heat oil in a wok.
Stir-fry the prawns for 15 seconds and remove.
Saute the pounded paste until fragrant.
Add long beans.
Stir-fry until soften.
Add the prawns again and stir-fry for another half a minute.
Transfer into serving plate.
If you noticed, I don’t use much chili as Ethan will be eating this and I don’t want it to be too spicy for him. I’m glad that he loves it and even asked me to fry this again tomorrow! I’m thinking to add in a little bit more of chili tomorrow to see if he can tolerate the next level… Hmm.. *evil smile*
5 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Join ME for updates & giveaways!
Home is where MY heart is.
I am a mother to two boys; Ethan and Ayden and a wife to Darling William. I'm a stay at home mum who blogs to break the monotony of life and to avoid feeling jaded. Would love to get to know all the Super Mommies and Daddies and Babies or Singles out there with the hope that we can learn more from each other. Most of all, I am a happy person, and I hope YOU are too.
Click here to learn more about me ^_^
SUBMERRYN ON TV3, MHI
SUBMERRYN ON MHI
Submerryn NTV7 Breakfast Show
Submerryn ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn ON TV2 Hello On Two
Submerryn On TV3 KidsNews
Submerryn In The Star, In.Tech
Submerryn In The Star, Metro
Submerryn In Sin Chew
Little Chefs’ Recipe
My Parenting Articles
* Quick & Easy Snack Ideas for School Children
* Baby Sign Language
* Crossing the road
* Postpartum depression
* Raising a genius
* Pros and cons of cellphones in school
* To spank or not to spank?
* Handling Tantrums
* Money sense in kids
* Stress free Childhood
* Parenting Conflicts
* Learning through play
Quick & Simple Recipes
* Bendi Goreng Bawang Belacan
* Ayam Satay Buah Keras
* Soya Cincau
* Seaweed Popiah Snack
* Chicken Floss Roll
* 3 Ingredient Mac & Cheese
* Kampar Claypot Chicken Rice
* Homemade Burger Patty
* French Toast with Chicken Floss
* Cheesy French Toast
* Cucur Ikan Bilis
* Cucur Pisang
* Simple Omelette Wrap
* Spicy Mushroom Tapas
* Pan-fried Salmon
* Roti John
* Sambal petai ikan bilis
* Stir-fried shrimp paste vege
* Fried Instant Noodles
* Sweet and sour prawn
* Blanced Beansprout
* Luncheon Meat Egg Roll
* Eggless No Bake Brownie
* Nyonya Assam Prawn
* Homemade Soya Bean Milk
* Loh Hon Chai
* Nyonya Chap Chye
* Ayam Pong Teh
* Asian Style Chicken Stew
* Fried Potato Patties
* Coca Cola Chicken
Baking with Rice Cooker
* Simple Rice Cooker Cakes Recipes
Ethan and Ayden’s Reading Progress
Karon, Phuket (Thailand)
Surin, Phuket (Thailand)
Mai Khao, Phuket (Thailand)
Bali with Kids (Indonesia)
Universal Studio Singapore
River Cruise (Singapore)
S.E.A Aquarium (Singapore)
Port Dickson (Malaysia)
Port Dickson (Malaysia)
My Popular Articles
- Ang Pow Koi Fish DIY - 142,592 views
- Sistem Analisis Peperiksaan Sekolah - 118,630 views
- Water World @ i-City - 115,935 views
- My Tong Sui Collection - 107,358 views
- Ang Bao Gold Fish – Very easy to do :D - 90,111 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decor: Ang Pow Carousel Lantern - 85,362 views
- Red Packet Ball Lantern - 73,576 views
- Chinese New Year Angpow Lantern - 72,672 views
- We slept separately for over 2 weeks dy… - 59,303 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decorations : Chinese Fan - 58,544 views
- WTF – What Tasty Food @ Bangsar
- To The Dentist We Go Again
- Cooking with Ayden: Steamed Chicken with Minced Bean Paste
- Ayden’s Audition
- Baking with Ayden: Rice Cooker Cheesecake
- Buka Puasa Buffet 2017: The Saujana Hotel Kuala Lumpur
- Painting with Ayden: The Benefits of Painting for Children
- Our Favourite at Skippys Pizza