Little Chefs: Onde-Onde
If you have had the opportunity to dine with me especially during hi-tea buffet, you’ll know that I always, ALWAYS, eat onde-onde first. I love the feeling of the melted palm sugar that floods my mouth when bitten into.
But good onde-onde is rather a rare find these days. The ones I ate are mostly just flour with very little gula melaka filling inside.
What do you do when you are craving for one of your favourite kuih but can’t seem to get good ones anywhere near you?
You learn to make it yourself.
But in my case, my Little Chefs learn to make ONDE-ONDE for me!
Look at that glorious gula melaka flowing out like waterfall!
This was their first attempt at making onde-onde and we are glad that it was a SUCCESS. They even requested to make this again tomorrow but let’s see…
The ingredients needed to make Onde-Onde are really very simple.
200gm Glutinous Rice Flour
8 Pandan Leaves
1 bowl water
100gm Gula Melaka (chopped)
Grated Coconut (we used only 1/4 of a coconut)
1/2 tsp salt
1) Blend 8 pandan leaves with one bowl of water. Strain the juice.
2) Slowly add the pandan juice into the bowl of glutinous rice flour. Knead. Add more juice accordingly and continue kneading.
3) Take a lump of dough and drop it into boiling water. Once it floats, remove it and mix it back with the rest of the dough.
4) Knead again until you get a smooth dough.
5) Leave it aside.
6) Meanwhile, add salt into grated coconut and steam for a couple of minutes.
7) Remove from steamer and let it cool.
8) Roll small balls from the dough. Flatten it and fill the center with gula melaka.
9) Pinch it close and roll to form a smooth ball.
10) Repeat until you are done with all the dough.
11) Cook the glutinous balls in boiling water.
12) They are done when they float.
13) Scoop them out and roll them in the grated coconut.
Here’s the tutorial video of my Little Chefs making Onde-Onde.
The video is in Bahasa Malaysia.
7 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Join ME for updates & giveaways!
Home is where MY heart is.
I am a mother to two boys; Ethan and Ayden and a wife to Darling William. I'm a stay at home mum who blogs to break the monotony of life and to avoid feeling jaded. Would love to get to know all the Super Mommies and Daddies and Babies or Singles out there with the hope that we can learn more from each other. Most of all, I am a happy person, and I hope YOU are too.
Click here to learn more about me ^_^