Our 9th Day of Chinese New Year
On the ninth day of the Chinese New Year it would be the celebration known to the Hokkiens as “Phai Thien Kong” which literally means “praying the Heaven God”. Prayers usually starts from 11pm on the 8th day or midnight onwards on the 9th day. Eversince I got married to Darling, I had been following him back to his hometown for this prayers except this year.
There is no school holiday for this special celebration this year and Ethan being in the morning session, refused to skip classes.
On this special night, my in-laws usually set up a table full of food to serve to the Jade Emperor. Some of the regular items they must have are boiled eggs, red tortoise buns (ang koo), red-colored buns (mee koo), prosperity cake (huat kueh), roast pork, steamed chicken, raw fish and fruits.
Usually we will all gather together after prayers to eat these food offerings but this year we did not get to do that. My favourite is usually the angkoo kuih that I will eat immediately after prayers. The rest such as roast pork, chicken and all will be eaten when we wake up later.
Nevertheless, my sister-in-law brought some items for us on her way up to KL this morning.
She brought us these:
Angkoo Kuih (Red Tortoise Bun) that is neither red nor the shape of a tortoise :P
Mee Koo (Red Coloured Bun)
Huat Kueh (Prosperity Cake)
My in-law also gave us 2 packs of firecrackers to burn at home and at the office today.
With all the above delivered to us, we manage to have a nice feast for dinner.
What about you? Do you celebrate the Jade Emperor’s birthday? Does your kid’s school declare a holiday for this special occassion? If not, did you let your kid skip school?
16 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Join ME for updates & giveaways!
Home is where MY heart is.
I am a mother to two boys; Ethan and Ayden and a wife to Darling William. I'm a stay at home mum who blogs to break the monotony of life and to avoid feeling jaded. Would love to get to know all the Super Mommies and Daddies and Babies or Singles out there with the hope that we can learn more from each other. Most of all, I am a happy person, and I hope YOU are too.
Click here to learn more about me ^_^
SUBMERRYN ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn NTV7 Breakfast Show
Submerryn ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn ON TV2 Hello On Two
Submerryn On TV3 KidsNews
Submerryn In The Star, In.Tech
Submerryn In The Star, Metro
Submerryn In Sin Chew
My Parenting Articles
* Quick & Easy Snack Ideas for School Children
* Baby Sign Language
* Crossing the road
* Postpartum depression
* Raising a genius
* Pros and cons of cellphones in school
* To spank or not to spank?
* Handling Tantrums
* Money sense in kids
* Stress free Childhood
* Parenting Conflicts
* Learning through play
Quick & Simple Recipes
* 3 Ingredient Mac & Cheese
* Kampar Claypot Chicken Rice
* Homemade Burger Patty
* French Toast with Chicken Floss
* Cheesy French Toast
* Cucur Ikan Bilis
* Cucur Pisang
* Simple Omelette Wrap
* Spicy Mushroom Tapas
* Pan-fried Salmon
* Roti John
* Sambal petai ikan bilis
* Stir-fried shrimp paste vege
* Fried Instant Noodles
* Sweet and sour prawn
* Blanced Beansprout
* Luncheon Meat Egg Roll
* Eggless No Bake Brownie
* Nyonya Assam Prawn
* Homemade Soya Bean Milk
* Loh Hon Chai
* Nyonya Chap Chye
* Ayam Pong Teh
* Asian Style Chicken Stew
* Fried Potato Patties
* Coca Cola Chicken
Baking with Rice Cooker
* Simple Rice Cooker Cakes Recipes
Ethan and Ayden’s Reading Progress
All about CARS
Hello Kitty car
Volkswagen Passat CC 2.0
Volkswagen Polo GTi
Exora Prime / Bold
Smart fortwo electric drive
New Perodua Myvi 1.5L
New Perodua Myvi 2011
My Popular Articles
- Ang Pow Koi Fish DIY - 130,967 views
- Water World @ i-City - 113,746 views
- My Tong Sui Collection - 105,515 views
- Ang Bao Gold Fish – Very easy to do :D - 85,284 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decor: Ang Pow Carousel Lantern - 80,362 views
- Chinese New Year Angpow Lantern - 68,956 views
- Red Packet Ball Lantern - 68,471 views
- Sistem Analisis Peperiksaan Sekolah - 58,262 views
- We slept separately for over 2 weeks dy… - 57,288 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decorations : Chinese Fan - 54,805 views
- DKING CNY Durian Goodies Hamper
- The Emperor, Dorsett Grand Subang’s Chinese New Year Menu 2017
- We are on Malaysia Hari Ini (MHI) – Chinese New Year Snack
- Popular Chinese New Year Snack : Chicken Floss Roll
- Easy Chinese New Year Snack – Seaweed Popiah Crisp
- Dynasty Restaurant’s 2017 Chinese New Year Menu
- Chinese New Year Decoration: Sunway Pyramid
- Ee Chinese Cuisine’s 2017 Chinese New Year Menu