Authentic Cendol @ Chanap Cafe, Persatuan Peranakan Cina Malaysia
While we were in Melaka over the weekend, my parents brought us to Wisma Peranakan, Tengkera Melaka. My parents are active members there with my Dad being one of the AJK member in their Koperasi. I’ve blogged about how my mom’s (and even my Dad’s) social life changed to the better after she got involved here. You may want to read the post again here -> Being Socially Active
My mom wanted me to see it myself. This place plays a very important role in her life currently.
Wisma Peranakan, Tengkera Melaka.
My mom brought me around and I can’t help but noticed the many newspaper cuttings being framed up and hung on the wall. They make a very interesting read. I took some time to read all of them.
The above are just some of the cuttings that can be found here at Wisma Peranakan.
While we were here, my Dad also wanted us to try their cendol at Chanap Cafe that is situated right inside the Wisma itself. Chanap Cafe is well-known among the locals as the place serving authentic peranakan food.
The boys waiting for their cendol while my Mom took me for a quick tour around Wisma.
Our cendol were served so I quickly dashed back downstairs.
I love how the cendol is served in beautiful peranakan bowl. These are not antiques but they are still very precious.
My parents with their bowl of cendol.
We also ordered a bowl of Tai Bak. Tai Bak is a delicious cooling Peranakan dessert comprising colourful type of rice flour. Based on the folklore story, each time a mother made Tai Bak, she hopes that one day her children will remember and crave for it so they will go back to visit.
Tai Bak is also sometimes referred to as Nyonya cendol. Curiosity got the best of us that we decided to try mixing tai bak with our cendol.
The result is simply delightful! The kids love eating it this way. I personally find it much more interesting to eat tai bak this way. The chewy tai bak combined with fragrant gula melaka in coconut milk is AMAZING!
LoL! I think they should make this Tai Bak Cendol fusion available in their menu. Seriously, it is very SEDAP!
Update: Chanap Cafe has moved. They are now known as Kapitan Kongsi Restaurant at this new place:
Kapitan Kongsi Restaurant (located inside Kapitan Kongsi Hotel)
Add : 53, Jalan KLJ 10 Jaya, Taman Kota Laksamana, 75200 Melaka, Malaysia
Contact No : 017-9076723
17 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Join ME for updates & giveaways!
Home is where MY heart is.
I am a mother to two boys; Ethan and Ayden and a wife to Darling William. I'm a stay at home mum who blogs to break the monotony of life and to avoid feeling jaded. Would love to get to know all the Super Mommies and Daddies and Babies or Singles out there with the hope that we can learn more from each other. Most of all, I am a happy person, and I hope YOU are too.
Click here to learn more about me ^_^
SUBMERRYN ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn NTV7 Breakfast Show
Submerryn ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn ON TV2 Hello On Two
Submerryn On TV3 KidsNews
Submerryn In The Star, In.Tech
Submerryn In The Star, Metro
Submerryn In Sin Chew
My Parenting Articles
* Quick & Easy Snack Ideas for School Children
* Baby Sign Language
* Crossing the road
* Postpartum depression
* Raising a genius
* Pros and cons of cellphones in school
* To spank or not to spank?
* Handling Tantrums
* Money sense in kids
* Stress free Childhood
* Parenting Conflicts
* Learning through play
Quick & Simple Recipes
* 3 Ingredient Mac & Cheese
* Kampar Claypot Chicken Rice
* Homemade Burger Patty
* French Toast with Chicken Floss
* Cheesy French Toast
* Cucur Ikan Bilis
* Cucur Pisang
* Simple Omelette Wrap
* Spicy Mushroom Tapas
* Pan-fried Salmon
* Roti John
* Sambal petai ikan bilis
* Stir-fried shrimp paste vege
* Fried Instant Noodles
* Sweet and sour prawn
* Blanced Beansprout
* Luncheon Meat Egg Roll
* Eggless No Bake Brownie
* Nyonya Assam Prawn
* Homemade Soya Bean Milk
* Loh Hon Chai
* Nyonya Chap Chye
* Ayam Pong Teh
* Asian Style Chicken Stew
* Fried Potato Patties
* Coca Cola Chicken
Baking with Rice Cooker
* Simple Rice Cooker Cakes Recipes
Ethan and Ayden’s Reading Progress
All about CARS
Hello Kitty car
Volkswagen Passat CC 2.0
Volkswagen Polo GTi
Exora Prime / Bold
Smart fortwo electric drive
New Perodua Myvi 1.5L
New Perodua Myvi 2011
My Popular Articles
- Ang Pow Koi Fish DIY - 130,961 views
- Water World @ i-City - 113,746 views
- My Tong Sui Collection - 105,515 views
- Ang Bao Gold Fish – Very easy to do :D - 85,272 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decor: Ang Pow Carousel Lantern - 80,362 views
- Chinese New Year Angpow Lantern - 68,955 views
- Red Packet Ball Lantern - 68,470 views
- Sistem Analisis Peperiksaan Sekolah - 58,262 views
- We slept separately for over 2 weeks dy… - 57,288 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decorations : Chinese Fan - 54,805 views
- DKING CNY Durian Goodies Hamper
- The Emperor, Dorsett Grand Subang’s Chinese New Year Menu 2017
- We are on Malaysia Hari Ini (MHI) – Chinese New Year Snack
- Popular Chinese New Year Snack : Chicken Floss Roll
- Easy Chinese New Year Snack – Seaweed Popiah Crisp
- Dynasty Restaurant’s 2017 Chinese New Year Menu
- Chinese New Year Decoration: Sunway Pyramid
- Ee Chinese Cuisine’s 2017 Chinese New Year Menu