How to carve a watermelon porcupine
Last week, I received an invitation to another potluck dinner. I love receiving invitations. It means there are still people out there who likes me and wants my company. It makes me feel so loved :D But I am afraid of potluck. It gives me stress up to level 9999 as I don’t cook. The stress is higher when I am invited by a great chef who is also a marvellous food writer. I needed to come out with something. But what?
I volunteered to bring fruits. We can’t go wrong with fruits, right? Just purchase and bring over. But last night I came out with a crazy idea. I thought to myself, these are award winning chefs I am meeting. I can’t just bring fruits in a plastic bag. I needed to do something better. I need to make a watermelon basket.
I washed the watermelon and used toothpick to make lines where I’m supposed to cut.
And then I cut.
And removed the top part. I breathe a sigh of relief at this point as I was so afraid I might damage the watermelon.
But it’s not over yet. Removing the flesh is another difficult task. Just cut and remove they said. I cut but can’t remove. It is not as easy as it seemed.
After what seemed like an eternity, I finally managed to scoop out all the flesh and cut them into triangles as I am trying to make a porcupine.
People have carving knife but I don’t. I just use my ordinary knife to cut the edges.
Just like magic, my watermelon has a face now!
With the face magically appeared, I needed to get them hands and feet too.
It is so stressful working under the watchful eyes of these two boys. They are so impatient! I can’t blame them as I took over an hour to reach this point.
Finally my porcupine is ready. It was my first time carving a watermelon!
Back view of the porcupine.
My porcupine is named “Ah Hock” by my friends. Long story to that. I’ll spare you the details. Anyway, here’s Ah Hock with the rest of the desserts that evening. It’s simply crazy to have that much dessert, especially after the feast we had earlier.
We had a great time eating, eating and more eating. I’ll blog about the food we had in a separate post as there are just too many. For now, I need to go burn some calories first before heading to bed.
Anybody else wants to invite me over for a potluck? I can carve a watermelon for you. I’m like close to expert level dy now :P
6 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Join ME for updates & giveaways!
Home is where MY heart is.
I am a mother to two boys; Ethan and Ayden and a wife to Darling William. I'm a stay at home mum who blogs to break the monotony of life and to avoid feeling jaded. Would love to get to know all the Super Mommies and Daddies and Babies or Singles out there with the hope that we can learn more from each other. Most of all, I am a happy person, and I hope YOU are too.
Click here to learn more about me ^_^
SUBMERRYN ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn NTV7 Breakfast Show
Submerryn ON TV3, MHI
Submerryn ON TV2 Hello On Two
Submerryn On TV3 KidsNews
Submerryn In The Star, In.Tech
Submerryn In The Star, Metro
Submerryn In Sin Chew
My Parenting Articles
* Quick & Easy Snack Ideas for School Children
* Baby Sign Language
* Crossing the road
* Postpartum depression
* Raising a genius
* Pros and cons of cellphones in school
* To spank or not to spank?
* Handling Tantrums
* Money sense in kids
* Stress free Childhood
* Parenting Conflicts
* Learning through play
Quick & Simple Recipes
* 3 Ingredient Mac & Cheese
* Kampar Claypot Chicken Rice
* Homemade Burger Patty
* French Toast with Chicken Floss
* Cheesy French Toast
* Cucur Ikan Bilis
* Cucur Pisang
* Simple Omelette Wrap
* Spicy Mushroom Tapas
* Pan-fried Salmon
* Roti John
* Sambal petai ikan bilis
* Stir-fried shrimp paste vege
* Fried Instant Noodles
* Sweet and sour prawn
* Blanced Beansprout
* Luncheon Meat Egg Roll
* Eggless No Bake Brownie
* Nyonya Assam Prawn
* Homemade Soya Bean Milk
* Loh Hon Chai
* Nyonya Chap Chye
* Ayam Pong Teh
* Asian Style Chicken Stew
* Fried Potato Patties
* Coca Cola Chicken
Baking with Rice Cooker
* Simple Rice Cooker Cakes Recipes
Ethan and Ayden’s Reading Progress
All about CARS
Hello Kitty car
Volkswagen Passat CC 2.0
Volkswagen Polo GTi
Exora Prime / Bold
Smart fortwo electric drive
New Perodua Myvi 1.5L
New Perodua Myvi 2011
My Popular Articles
- Ang Pow Koi Fish DIY - 130,967 views
- Water World @ i-City - 113,746 views
- My Tong Sui Collection - 105,515 views
- Ang Bao Gold Fish – Very easy to do :D - 85,282 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decor: Ang Pow Carousel Lantern - 80,362 views
- Chinese New Year Angpow Lantern - 68,956 views
- Red Packet Ball Lantern - 68,471 views
- Sistem Analisis Peperiksaan Sekolah - 58,262 views
- We slept separately for over 2 weeks dy… - 57,288 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decorations : Chinese Fan - 54,805 views
- DKING CNY Durian Goodies Hamper
- The Emperor, Dorsett Grand Subang’s Chinese New Year Menu 2017
- We are on Malaysia Hari Ini (MHI) – Chinese New Year Snack
- Popular Chinese New Year Snack : Chicken Floss Roll
- Easy Chinese New Year Snack – Seaweed Popiah Crisp
- Dynasty Restaurant’s 2017 Chinese New Year Menu
- Chinese New Year Decoration: Sunway Pyramid
- Ee Chinese Cuisine’s 2017 Chinese New Year Menu