Hand Foot Mouth Disease – The Double Dose
It was Sunday morning. We needed to be on location for a recording session at 8.30am so my plan was to wake up at 7am to get the kids and my make-up ready but at 5am, Ayden woke up crying. I thought he wanted milk so I just latched him on with my eyes still close. But he did not want milk. He was gagging and that jolted me wide awake. I held him up and that was when I realised he was having fever. This boy of mine has never had fever since he was born 8 months ago but he did today and it was a high fever. I gave him medication and that got the fever down. He eventually went back to sleep at 7am and I rushed with my make-up, Ethan and everything and we all rushed to the recording location. Despite being in a zombie state, Ethan and I managed to get through with the recording session in 2 hours and quickly rushed Ayden to the paed after that.
By then small red dots have already started forming in the inner part of his lips and we suspected Hand Foot Mouth Disease but the paed is unable to confirm it as there wasn’t any ulcers visible in his throat, hands and feet. We were told to monitor Ayden’s fever and to watch out for scabs in the next 3 days.
Sunday night was a nightmare. Ayden was unable to sleep, screaming his lungs out. He was drooling profusely, indicating that he was in a lot of pain. There was nothing we could do to bring his fever down except sponging to control his temperature.
By Day 2, small red dots appeared all over his little body.
On his feet…
Even on his private parts! But his fever has subside. We gave him one last dose of medication in the morning and that was it. No more fever.
BUT it was Ethan’s turn to be feverish and unable to eat and drink. We were horrified because unlike chicken pox, you just dont grow immune to this disease.
Ethan back in 2010 when he first got the dreaded HFMD
Ethad had HFMD when he was 2 1/2 years old and it took him weeks to recover then.
We had to give him drips of Cataflam to soothe his throat but honestly speaking, it doesn’t help much.
Imagine the pain of having one single ulcer on our lip. Now, imagine having 10 or more ulcers in your throat. THAT is how much the boys are suffering :(
It became so painful that Ethan is unable to eat or drink anything.
As the last resort, I pumped out my milk and use the syringe to feed Ethan. Of course he doesnt know that it is actually my milk he is drinking. I told him that it is one of his medication and he gulped them like a champion. He even told me the ‘medicine’ tastes like milk! LoL! He takes 20ml of that freshly pumped ‘white medicine’ every two hourly throughout the day. It’s so fresh, any fresher you’ve got to suck it yourself!
It’s Day 3 today and both the boys are no longer feverish. Ethan still has some throat irritation though while Ayden is feeding as usual already. At times like this, I am glad I am a breastfeeding mom because my liquid gold helped my boys (big n small) go through this tough time.
Now, let’s just hope the Daddy is sparred from all this because I doubt he will want to drink MY milk! Hahaha!
13 Comments + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Join ME for updates & giveaways!
Home is where MY heart is.
I am a mother to two boys; Ethan and Ayden and a wife to Darling William. I'm a stay at home mum who blogs to break the monotony of life and to avoid feeling jaded. Would love to get to know all the Super Mommies and Daddies and Babies or Singles out there with the hope that we can learn more from each other. Most of all, I am a happy person, and I hope YOU are too.
Click here to learn more about me ^_^
In The Media
* ntv7 The Breakfast Show 8/5/2013
* MHI TV3 9/02/2013
* Hello On Two TV2 4/02/2013
* Chiki Boom TV2
* Bernama Radio24 13/09/2012
* The Star, Metro 19/01/2012
* The Star
* In.Tech 07/09/2010
* ParenThots 05/09/2010
* The Star, Tech Takes 01/09/2010
* The Star, 14/04/2010
* ParenThots, 12/04/2010
* TV3, 15/02/2010
* The Star, 25/11/2009
Quick & Simple Recipes
* 3 Ingredient Mac & Cheese
* Kampar Claypot Chicken Rice
* Homemade Burger Patty
* French Toast with Chicken Floss
* Cheesy French Toast
* Cucur Ikan Bilis
* Simple Omelette Wrap
* Spicy Mushroom Tapas
* Pan-fried Salmon
* Roti John
* Sambal petai ikan bilis
* Stir-fried shrimp paste vege
* Fried Instant Noodles
* Sweet and sour prawn
* Blanced Beansprout
* Luncheon Meat Egg Roll
* Eggless No Bake Brownie
* Nyonya Assam Prawn
* Homemade Soya Bean Milk
* Loh Hon Chai
* Nyonya Chap Chye
* Ayam Pong Teh
* Asian Style Chicken Stew
* Fried Potato Patties
* Coca Cola Chicken
All about CARS
Hello Kitty car
Volkswagen Passat CC 2.0
Volkswagen Polo GTi
Exora Prime / Bold
Smart fortwo electric drive
New Perodua Myvi 1.5L
New Perodua Myvi 2011
My Popular Articles
- Water World @ i-City - 99,503 views
- My Tong Sui Collection - 97,302 views
- Ang Pow Koi Fish DIY - 79,326 views
- Ang Bao Gold Fish – Very easy to do :D - 62,792 views
- DIY Chinese New Year decor: Ang Pow Carousel Lantern - 58,686 views
- Chinese New Year Angpow Lantern - 53,548 views
- We slept separately for over 2 weeks dy… - 50,423 views
- Scorching HOT! - 49,211 views
- Nuffnang Friso Family Day Out - 48,965 views
- Red Packet Ball Lantern - 46,289 views
- Ayden’s Reading Progress @ 19 months and Some Random Updates
- Ethan, Have You Eaten?
- He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother
- Deep Layer 5 Step System Treatment
- When You Are Ball Less
- Ultherapy™ at The Sloane Clinic – Follow Up Consultation
- How to pronounce the word ‘Sewing’
- Marine Harvest for Dinner @ Chatz Brasserie
* Ultherapy™ follow-up
* The Sloane Clinic Ultherapy™
* Trudy & Teddy
* WORLDFOODS paste
* Samsung KidsTime Conclusion
* Samsung KidsTime Educational Apps
* HP Print Apps
* Samsung KidsTime App
* Nestum 3-in-1
* Matrix Global Schools
* Ice Age Adventure 2014
* Liese Blaune
* Universal Studio Hollywood
* Tiger Balm Mosquito Repellent
* Nestum #MoreLife
* Vanish Stain Remover
* KOSE Sekkisei Lotion Mask Giveaway
* KOSE Sekkisei Lotion Mask
* Celcom CNY
* New Kia Optima K5